College Application Essay Coaching
The admissions officer at your dream school has just opened your college essay. Until this point, you’re just a bunch of numbers: GPA, class rank, test scores. The personal essay is your chance to come to life, to give yourself a voice. It is your chance to stand out from the rest.
But composing a compelling personal narrative is challenging. Many students find the essay daunting, and inadvertently do all of the “wrong” things. This summer, North Avenue Education is pleased to offer writing coaching specifically geared toward college application essays: writing workshops and one-on-one tutoring.
North Avenue’s College Application Writing Workshops are intensive and creative three-week courses designed for the student who is serious about writing a standout application essay but doesn’t know where to start. Taught by seasoned writing tutors, these workshops combine writing instruction with creative exercises and group discussion to guide students from the blank page to a full draft.
In three sessions over three weekends, students will learn how to choose the right topic, build a narrative, craft engaging sentences, and grab the attention of admissions officers with a stellar essay. Students will generate two drafts to be revised and developed through workshopping, targeted lecture, and instructor feedback.
- Choose either Sundays from 10am-1pm (9/22, 9/29, and 10/6) or Saturdays from 10am-1pm (10/12, 10/19, and 10/26).
- To provide excellent instruction and individual attention, enrollment in each workshop is limited to six students.
College Essay Tutoring Package (8-Session or 12-Session options)
One-on-One Tutoring Packages provide students with the tools they need to clarify their distinct voices, compose captivating original content, and enhance their overall admissions profiles. Participants master techniques to writing winning essays – while learning to identify common pitfalls. As students write and revise drafts, they will receive creative guidance and hands-on editing support to help refine their essays toward final drafts ready for submission.
- Student-focused and adaptive sessions featuring in-depth essay support through all stages of the writing process, from brainstorming and drafting to revising and editing.
- Tailor the frequency and schedule to fit your application deadlines.
- 8-Session package is recommended to guide main essay to completion; 12-Session package is recommended for students seeking guidance around both main essay and supplementals.